The Day I Got Harley (the full drama version!)

I researched dogs for about 3 months before I ended up getting Harley. I grew up with small shih tzu's, but fell in love with big dogs while on my mission in Texas. I knew I wanted an affectionate dog, that was very friendly, but still wanted to wrestle and play as a big dog does. After months of research, I decided I was going to get a Boxer - even though I really had never known any beforehand.

I went to several places, and decided to get my dog from Animial Kingdom in the mall. This store brought their dogs in from controlled-breeding states, and pre-screened their dogs for diseases and any future health conditions that they possibly could. Then, they sold their dogs for an outrageous $1600.

One Thursday after work, I was at Animal Kingdom in Superstition Springs Mall. I found the cutest little brindle Boxer, and just fell in love with him right away. I wasn't sure that I was quite ready yet, so the lady from the store told me to go home and think about it, and come back the next day if I wanted to purchase the pup - assuring me he wasn't going anywhere.

I thought about the pup all night long, and called the store first thing to let them know I was going to take him home that day after work. The lady apologized, and told me that the pup sold to a family just a few minutes after I had left! She felt terrible (as she should have!) and immediately called around trying to find a Boxer for me. By the time she found one, it was closing time, but she told me to show up at Paradise Valley Mall in Phoenix right when the opened the next day.

I called the store in PV Mall relentlessly, asking them to hold the pup, but they said they were not allowed to. So, 8am Saturday morning, with 3 of my friends, we scoured the mall looking for Animial Kingdom. We finally found it about 8:15, and I bolted to the back where the pups were. I found the Boxer sitting in his cage, but right at that moment I saw one of the employees take the dog out and hand him over to a family who instantly fell in love with him.

There was no way I was letting this happen again! I searched for an employee and told them I was the guy bugging them ALL night about this dog. I finally found one of the ladies I had spoken with on the phone. She went over to the family and pulled the dog out of their arms and said "I'm sorry, but this dog has been sold". Needless to say, the family was really upset and didn't want to give the dog up. I grabbed the dog and after about 10 seconds of getting to know him, I paid for Harley and took him home.

Ok, so maybe it was a little harsh, but I knew Harley had to come home with me! Sorry to that other family...

No comments: